Friday, April 25, 2014

PCOS and infammation

So I had been working out 6 days a week and eating 1400 calories a day for 60 days - wanted to really focus on getting in shape. What happened instead was a bit of a mindf*ck if you'll excuse the language.

I have polycistic ovaries, which sounds like it's just related to the reproductive system - but actually the hormonal imbalances that come with it pretty much affect everything in the system.

Apparently the extra exercise triggered my body to hold onto everything. I gained over 10 pounds. Not muscle weight mind you. I guess it just goes to show that the calories in - calories out rules don't apply to everyone.

I did a ton of research in the past few weeks about what's going on. I am not diabetic, but I do have insulin issues (as does everyone with PCOS) and my leptin responses are totally out of whack. What to do? An overhaul. Forget the calorie counting... On Sunday I cut out all sugars, all grains of any kind, and nightshades (tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes) because my body is obviously REALLY pissed off. I added in a bunch of fat via coconut oil and avocado as well.

This does make eating not necessarily the funnest of things. I actually dreamt about a BLT on a sourdough baguette last night (yum.... bread....) but my body has responded to these changes in quite a drastic way. It's Friday and I've already released 6 pounds since Sunday. This is telling me that the inflammation is coming down. I'm committing to this for a while - no cheat days - so that my body will get happy with me again. Stupid PCOS.

No comments: