Sunday, January 25, 2009

Fallen Out of Love

It pains me to death to admit this... I have fallen out of love with my dog, Chico. Everyday, he is the thing that takes the smile off my face. He is the thing that I am terrified will harm my children.

At one time I thought of him as my child - of course this is before I had kids - and that I would love him to the very end. But all it took was one bite - one drop of my baby's blood - to realize that he is a dog. Plain and simple - a dog. And now I wish he were outside all the time - away from me and away from my kids.

You'd think it would be simple to just get rid of him. But my conscience won't allow me to just take him some place where I wouldn't know what happens to him. My head aches with the conflict inside that I did once love him and now I don't. I don't view myself as a cruel person. But I did put him up on Craigslist once to find him a good home and I was greeted with a bunch of hate email. It's so hard... I just don't know what to do...

No comments: