Friday, December 14, 2012

Sadness

This morning, as I am every morning, I rolled over in bed and asked Peter to get up and take Ryenne to school. I am not a morning person. He knows that I have been really sore lately and he took Ry to school and let me sleep.

When I woke up, he told me that something terrible happened on the mainland. Like the rest of the nation, I was horrified to learn that a gunman went on a killing spree in an elementary school. 20 small children. 7 adults. My brain cannot even wrap itself around this.

I have been overcome with such a deep grief today. I cannot imagine the pain that the parents are going through and the pain of the children who watched as their classmates were hurt. My stomach turns and rolls realizing that there was such an incredibly sick person that could look a child in the face and harm them - kill them. How can that possibly be?

Ryenne is at school today celebrating the last day of class for Christmas break. She gets off in half an hour and I am pretty sure that I'm going to tackle her when she walks out of her classroom.

At what point in time did we as parents have to ask ourselves, "How do we tell our children? Do we teach them about the possibility of someone coming to harm them? What to do if you see a gunman at school?" Do we say nothing and pretend that it can't happen ever again? How do you explain to a 6 year old that children their age were murdered for no reason?

I hate guns. I don't believe that an American needs to have a gun that can spit out 100 rounds in minutes. Why? What do we need that for? Why is it that crazy people can go get a gun with no problem? I am so sickened and so heart broken.

No comments: