Sunday, October 19, 2014

Lots of writing to do!

My poor neglected family blog! I promise to get better.

Things have been SO BUSY around here. Seriously. I don't even know where I left off so let's just talk about October!

October is always a great month because it starts out with Kai Boy's birthday. Kai Boy turned SIX! We were supposed to celebrate with a family trip to Kauai but had to cancel because Peter's vacation time wasn't approved (queue the boo, hiss). But it was still all good because Kai wanted to try going to the county fair.


I really loved how his teacher put him up in front of the class and let his classmates describe him. He was so proud!

We have tried the fair before and it was extremely overwhelming for him. So much so that last year resulted in screaming and a complete shut down for his little system. But this year he said that turning six made him  brave and we talked about the loud sounds, the crowds, the visual stimuli... and he said he was ready.

We parked the car and started walking in and he put his hands over his ears. I thought to myself, "uh-oh, we're not even inside yet and he's shutting down." I stopped, and started talking to him to let him know it was ok if he didn't want to go inside. He said that he would be ok as long as he didn't ride anything. He actually DID do a ride! He did the fun house with Peter and was super proud of himself. He did FANTASTIC! Ryenne got to ride the swings with her friend Lily and Cruz got to ride the cars with Peter.  Everyone was fed (us five plus Lily) and I was super stoked to make it out of the fair spending $100 even. That place is so expensive! I think next year we'll try talking the kids out of it and putting the money toward Disneyland - which has been moved to December 2015 since Kai said he wasn't ready to go this year.




It's been an incredibly busy season of photography. I love it and am so happy that I'm getting the business. Peter's work schedule is also great because it usually works out that he can take the kids to the beach while I'm shooting. I love that they can follow along and then I can join them when I'm all done.

We also got to meet Chef Sheldon Simeon - he opened Migrant in Wailea and just in case you don't know who he is - he was on Top Chef Seattle representing Hawaii and he came in third. He's probably one of the most humble chefs you'd ever meet and I love his restaurant!

Letsee.... letsee...

Oh yes... Kai Boy had yet another dental procedure. One of the teeth that was worked on earlier this year had abscessed and he had to have it pulled. He was SO BRAVE - I was just praying we wouldn't have to do another hospital visit. He pulled through fantastic and now has a space retainer where the molar was to help keep his teeth straight.

I have also switched schools for Ryenne. Wailuku was just not working out for her. She cried every morning before school and for a girl who LOVES school, this wasn't right. I contacted a friend of mine who is a teacher at a really wonderful school and she helped me get Ry accepted. She started last week and LOVES it. It's very nurturing, positive, and offers a ton to help her mind grow. I will keep trying to get Kai in and Cruz for kindergarten next year.

Cruz is on a growth spurt and he is the same height as Kai and outweighs him. He REALLY wants to start kindergarten already and it's hard to explain to him that we have to wait until next year. He gets frustrated wondering why he can't just walk in with Kai.

 Cruz and his buddy, Sassy, who lives next door. They like to hang out together all the time. It's adorable.

It's also Election time over here. I've never been very involved with it because I feel like the system is incredibly flawed. But this year we did register to vote because of the really important GMO issue. I feel like there is a people's uprising going on - we don't want that stuff on Maui. However, Monsanto and Dow have deep pockets in here and the campaign has been pretty nasty. We'll see what happens.

That's it for now I think...

No comments: