Monday, September 10, 2012

Snob

I'll admit it... I've become a food snob. Long gone are the days that I would make a breaded, frozen chicken part with a box of rice-a-roni. That used to be my specialty. And with other foods like it, it was no wonder that my hormones were completely out of whack.

It has been really awesome to meet our farmers. To go to the veggie stand and buy veggies that you can see are growing all around you. To buy the eggs that are in so many hues of brown, tan, blue, white, and grey from chickens that can eat as many worms as they want, and to buy meat where you can actually taste a difference. It's true - I've become a food snob. And I have been LOVING learning how to cook. LOVING IT. I hope these kiddos know how much love goes into the things I make them. Sure... they still get their Komoda donuts and the occasional Happy Meal. But I try... I really do... to make good things for them in this house.

This afternoon we transplanted our seedlings to the garden beds. We have spaghetti squash, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, chard, cabbage, celery, and carrots. I hope they all make it. The kids have been so excited to watch all the seeds sprout.

Last night I started a stock pot with ham hocks and water and made broth. Today I added a ton of veggies that the kids picked out along with some Portuguese sausage and raw colby cheese. Ryenne AND KAI ate their entire bowl. I was so impressed. I hope that I'm setting a good example for them.

No comments: