Thursday, July 04, 2013

Religulous

Last night we watched a documentary called Religulous and I thought it was brilliant.

Bill Maher had questions that he wanted answered. His candor and humor were great. He had a lot of the same questions that I have.

Now before I continue, I have to put down some of Macklemore's lyrics from the song, Same Love (a song I love, by the way)

The right wing conservatives think it's a decision
And you can be cured with some treatment and religion
Man-made rewiring of a predisposition
Playing God, aw nah here we go
America the brave still fears what we don't know
And God loves all his children, is somehow forgotten
But we paraphrase a book written thirty-five-hundred years ago
I don't know...

It's the same hate that's caused wars from religion
Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment
The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins
It's human rights for everybody, there is no difference!
Live on and be yourself...

When I was at church they taught me something else
If you preach hate at the service those words aren't anointed
That holy water that you soak in has been poisoned
When everyone else is more comfortable remaining voiceless
Rather than fighting for humans that have had their rights stolen
I might not be the same, but that's not important
No freedom till we're equal, damn right I support it
What I saw in the movie Religulous was a bunch of men pissing all over each other - "my stuff is better than your stuff" "my god is better than your god" "our religion is going to crush your religion when the world ends" "God is a jealous god, he will smite you if you don't believe in him"

After all of that, I still believe what I believe. There's a God out there in some form or another. Someone is out there hearing my thoughts and dreams, yet it's up to me to take the steps to achieve them. Treat everyone as you want to be treated. All humans are equal - created in love and deserving of love. The Bible was written by men and is full of fairy tales - I believe in Jesus the same way I believe in Santa Claus. I believe in Mother Nature and Magic and the Universe. I believe that overall, the world is good. I don't believe in a jealous deity. All is good. Stop the hate. 

No comments: