Friday, August 26, 2005

All the scoops

OK.... so we finally passed the day that I was waiting for.

FIRSTLY, I'd like to send a BIG congratulations to my brother in law Pat and his girlfriend Lisa. They just found out today that their baby will be a little boy! =)

Now for the rest of the scoops.

Peter and I flew to Honolulu on Friday the 19th to meet with Dr. Vu at the IVF clinic in Kailua. Traffic was crazy. The doctor is wonderful, explained everything, and is so helpful.

He explained that I have PolyCystic Ovarian Sydrome (PCOS) which nobody had ever told me before. It explains SO MUCH that goes on with my body in regards to ovulation, weight gains, hormones, ect. He said he has worked with PCOS patients with success. That's not to say that there isn't any risk. PCOS patients are more prone to diabetes and earlier childbirth.

So what does this mean for me? A complete change of lifestyle. I'm very proud to say that I've been sugar free, caffeine free, and preservative free for three days now.

So anyhoo, I am now on Lupron injections as well as baby aspirin, and a few pills. I go back to Honolulu on Weds 8/31 to check my blood levels, and if all is good, then I start the gonadatropin injections as well and the egg retrieval and transfer will happen sometime mid-September.

Needless to say, I am very excited and nervous all at the same time. We're thinking of trying for twins, and I made Peter promise that when the babies come we'll still make time for each other. That's my biggest fear... that I'll lose my best friend. But he promised and that made me feel much better.

So in the meantime, I am definitely being affected by this medication. I am tired, sluggish, bloated, sore.... I know this won't be easy, but I need to vent somewhere!

Not to make this a novel entry or anything, but I had a wonderful birthday too. Peter surprised me with a trip to the spa at the Ihilani where we were staying. It was very much needed and a really nice treat!!!

That's all for now... Pau...

No comments: