Sunday, May 03, 2009

Advice...

Okay blog readers... I need a little advice.

I have been asked to volunteer for the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep organization (www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org). This organization is amazing. When parents lose a baby, a volunteer photographer is called upon to capture precious, priceless moments between the baby and the grieving parents. This is usually done at the hospital.

I have known of the organization for over a year now, and thought about joining, but I have been to scaredy cat. I almost feel that I would be so emotional to even get through a session like that. But on the other hand, my photographs could serve as huge memories for parents who have lost a child.

I am selfishly torn. Should I do it? And if I do, what if I am a tearful mess if I am called upon?

Any thoughts from my readers would be extremely helpful. I am leaning toward signing up as a volunteer, putting my own emotions aside. Thanks all!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I was just reading about a family who lost their baby boy and had so much gratitude for this organization this morning! If it were me, and I had your awesome skills, I would love to do this project... I do see how it would be easy to get very very emotional, but I really don't think it would be offensive even if you did, and your pictures would give them a lifetime memory that they would have missed out on. I am sure it would be a hard calling, but so worth it in the end!

Christine said...

I think that it would be a wonderful thing for you to do. You take such beautiful pictures and you'd be giving those parents a treasured keepsake during such a difficult time! I truly believe that should you do this you'd draw the strength you need from the love of your own children to pass on such a precious gift.

Gevin and Marisa said...

I would definitely do this organization!! I know how emotional it would be for you especially when we have children of our own. But grieving parents can also draw strength from your emotion and I'm sure that would show in the pictures. Its a gift for parents to be able to pay tribue and show love for their child for a lifetime. Good Luck!!