Saturday, July 23, 2011

Inspired

Aside from Ry's temper tantrums, things are inspiring here. Professionally speaking I have never been so busy. Never been so inspired. Never been so enthusiastic and confident in my work.

In a world full of photographers - professional and amateur - I've been doing this for a while. I've always felt "not good enough" - not quite at the level of everyone else. Struggling even. Struggling to find my own personal style, my vision for my company, my pricing, managing my time. Finding a balance can be really hard.

But this summer has changed everything. I took a big leap of faith and drastically changed my business model this year. I lowered my prices. Which every professional photographer publication says not to do. I'm giving away my high res files, which is becoming more and more the norm among photographers who are just starting out. I came to the conclusion that I want to be busy. I want to make money (who doesn't?). Charging more just doesn't bring in as much business - there are too many photographers to compete with to charge more - clients will just go where it's cheapest in this economy. So I decided to offer boutique style photography at a really awesome price. And it's working. Better than I even thought.

I was afraid that being inexpensive would make people not appreciate the images. That it would just be a commodity and perhaps not an experience. I was wrong. My clients are sending me amazing emails of gratitude and it just touches my heart. I received this email from a client I photographed last week - they are from Houston and we were chatting about my desire to move back to Maui permanently. This is what she said,

"Thank you so much Mariah! The photographs are simply spectacular! You are doing exactly what God put you on earth to do, exactly where He intended you to do it! To say that you're talented would not do you justice. . . You make moments come to life in photographs. Wow! Thanks again- we will always treasure the photos. --Jen "

It just makes me KNOW in my heart that I'm meant to do this - that I am worthy of it - that I am good enough at it. That I've finally found my niche - my style - my love of the business part of it as well as the creative aspect. Inspiring. I can't wait for what's next.

2 comments:

Susan said...

What a blessing to have watched you grow and get to this point. I'm honored to call you friend.

Kristi said...

i can't believe you ever question yourself. you are amazing. truly. someday i hope to have you photograph my family again.