Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Goodbye my friend...


The day has come to say goodbye to my super speedy, beautiful Honda Civic Si. I didn't realize how hard it would be to say goodbye to my dear friend, who've I'm come to know as "Speedy" over the past 6 years.

I have so many great memories with this car. I bought it just before Peter and I got married, when I had my first "adult person job" at the Four Seasons and at the time, it was the biggest check I'd ever written (for the down payment). Driving it couldn't be beat - the clutch, the shifter, the wind in my hair with the sunroof open, the rev of the engine as I pushed it, oh how it corners like it's on rails!

I know now that there's no way I can keep it. It's not a mommy car - not the safest car - and it would be so difficult to get Ryenne in and out of the backseat. I'd probably break my back. But still, it was so hard letting go today.

Peter found a great buyer for the car - a guy who does auto detailing and was thrilled to be able to buy it. We decided to meet today at 3:30pm in Kahului and as soon as I got off the phone with him, I started bawling. I got into the car and cried all the way to Kahului. I took it on the windy road behind the airport to get my last few 'rally runs' out of it and had to stop along the way because I was crying so hard.

I felt so embarassed the way I was crying in front of the new buyer. He asked if I was Ok and I said "yes". It was just really hard letting go and giving up the keys. I guess the feeling that I can relate to is like a loved one is moving far, far away. God that sounds so stupid that I feel that way about a car, but that's how I feel.

Now it's time to be practical and get something that's family friendly. I just hope that I can at least feel a little of that driving adrenaline that I love so much and I hope that Ryenne shares that same enthusiasm as me.

So now my "Speedy" has a new home and owner and we have the Jetta and Scooby. The Jetta needs a LOT of TLC if we're going to use it for a while with baby. The Honda Fit, while a great choice, is just out of the pricerange for now. The demand is just so high that the dealerships aren't parting with them for reasonable amounts of money. We'll see how it all goes... still got some time.

No comments: