Thursday, October 02, 2008

Welcome To The World Kai Eric Dagupion!!!

We are so delighted to welcome our little boy KAI ERIC DAGUPION into the world!! He was born October 1st at 5:05pm and weighed in at 8 pounds, 8 ounces!!!

I started labor on Monday afternoon with some pretty mean contractions and had them all through the night. Then on Tuesday they stalled and I couldn't figure out why labor had stopped (I was, after all, really looking forward to being DONE with being pregnant).

So just before going to bed on Tuesday, I knew that I was gonna go back into labor and wasn't going to get any sleep. Sure enough, contractions started again. I let Peter and Ry sleep and went through contractions by myself. They hurt like crazy. At 3:40am I decided to go downstairs to get the big bouncy ball to sit on. I put the ball on my head and headed up the stairs and then GUSH! My water broke and I ran to the bathroom hoping not to drip on the carpet. Weird I know... that was all I could think of - that I didn't want to mess the carpet.

I woke Peter up and told him my water broke and called the midwife on call at the birth center. I told her that I was having contractions and my water broke and she told me to come on down to be checked out. If I wasn't dilating yet she was going to send me back home. So I told my Pop to stay with Ryenne (Thanks Dad!!) and me and Peter left for the birth center at 4am. Let me just say that having contractions in the car SUCKS!

We got to the birth center and I was checked and was 5 centimeters so we got to stay. Our birthing room was GORGEOUS - a Victorian themed room with huge bathtub. Anyway, I called my doulas Stephanie and Catherine to tell them that we were at the birth center.

The hours of contractions are kinda a blur. The day seemed to move quickly yet at a snails pace at the same time - does that make any sense? My contractions were so hardcore and painful I think my brain is trying to block it out. The baby never dropped so he was really high in my abdomen the entire day. The contractions got so strong trying to push him down...

I could hear another laboring woman in the room next to me. It kinda scared me because I could hear her yelling and swearing and I think she was grasping the bed so hard that it was knocking the wall with each contraction. But my contractions were a bit different - I just really concentrated on my breathing and didn't scream but instead did deep moaning which I think helped get through them.

Peter blew my mind with his amazing love and support through everything. He was my rock, my pillar, my cheerleader... When I thought to myself "I can't do this" he brought me through each contraction with such amazing love. Stephanie and Catherine were HUGE helps - they jumped in to rub my back and offer suggestions for positioning my body. Between the three of them, I had every bit of support that I needed.

The contractions were extremely intense and I dilated to 8 centimeters by 4pm. I was in crazy pain and wanted to get into the warm bath. My awesome midwife Jenni got me into the tub and suggested using pool noodles to help support myself. A few contractions and I found a comfy position (well if you can use the word "comfy" in reference to labor LOL).

My midwife stepped out to check on the new family in the next room. Peter and the girls helped me get through some crazy contractions. Jenni came and checked me really quick and said 9 centimeters and then stepped out again thinking I had a bit of time before baby came. I felt like I needed to push!! So they called Jenni back in and I told her that I had to make doo doo and everyone yelled at me "NO! That's not doo doo that's the baby!!" Jenni couldn't believe how fast that last part of labor was and we had to call her and the nurse in at the last minute because nobody thought it would be that fast!

Kai was born in the big bathtub in a water birth just as I had hoped for. Those last few contractions didn't hurt but felt liberating to get that baby out!! After he came out, Jenni pulled him out of the water and brought him right up to my chest. I got to hold my brand new baby, still attached to his chord, and everyone clapped and cheered. It was AMAZING!

We got out of the tub (I was freezing afterward!) and we got on the bed and delivered the placenta. That was really cool cause I've never seen one before. Jenni gave us a tour of all the parts and it was really neat. Peter got to cut the chord and then we all got to snuggle and rest!!

Having the birth at the birth center exceeded every expectation that I had (aside from the pain which was WAY MORE than I had ever imagined). Every person involved was just totally awesome. And best of all, I didn't have to stay overnight!!! We got to go home that night which was great.

Pop brought Ry up and we all had dinner together. Poor girl was really bummed to walk in and see the new baby. She knew it was P2 but she was in a horrible mood. This is going to be a major adjustment for her!

Today has been a little bit better but she did throw a toy at Kai today. Probably going to be a rough few weeks while she adjusts from being an only child to a big sister!

I'm doing good - my bottom is really sore. I had a tiny tear but didn't need stitches - that will add just a little bit of extra recovery time. Tired as expected!!! Kai is a nursing champ and doing really well. He's a sleepy baby. But I don't know if that will stick - he had quite a rough journey coming out and I think he's just as exhausted as me!



Just born!




Our AMAZING Doula's - Stephanie and Catherine


Our FABULOUS Nurse Erin and Midwife Jennifer




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Mariah and Peter! Yours was such a beautiful, gentle, and loving birth - thank you so much for inviting me to share the experience. I will never forget it! :)

Much love -

Steph

LittleTechGirl said...

He is sooooooo beautiful!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I Hope Ryenne comes around soon and is a nice big sister. :)

My girls had just made 3 when my boys were born, luckily we did not have any adjustments issues then. NOW they fight and argue over toys all the time. LOL

a little on the brokenhearted side said...

Oh my gosh....he's so handsome. what a great birth story!

Aloha

Unknown said...

Congrats Mariah and Peter!!! I loved reading your story and the pics are awesome. What a beautiful baby boy. I just got your phone # from Nick, I'm coming out to Austin next Wednesday and would love to see you! I'll be staying with Brette and babysitting Mia, so maybe we can arrange a play date. I'll give you a call when I arrive.

Love, Jessie