Friday, August 07, 2009

Quite the Adventure

Well... we made it. We're on Maui! It was quite the adventure for our family and I think I'm stilli n recovery mode.

Peter and I woke up at 5am on Wednesday morning and Pops came and got us at 6am. We drove down to San Antonio and got our bags through and took the first leg from San Antonio to Dallas. It was a quick flight - around 45 minutes. We got off the plane and found our new gate. We were hungry so we went to have lunch. It was mediocre at best and I was mad I spent $7 on such a crappy sandwich (picture bread with such puny iceberg lettuce it was transparent).

We boarded the plane and proceeded to taxi to the runway and then we just stopped. We were sitting there for half an hour when the captain came on and said there was a mechanical problem and we were heading back to the gate. It was supposed to be a "quick fix" but we ended up sitting at the gate for quite some time. They even started the movie! We were very worried about our connector flight in LAX.

Finally after over an hour and a half we had the all clear and took off toward L.A. The kids did really well and Ryenne liked the movie about Meerkats and Kai took a good nap. As we approached Los Angeles, we realized that we would just be making our next flight to Maui. The flight to Maui boarded at 4:20pm and we'd be landing in L.A. at 3:55pm. Peter and I looked at each other with a sigh of relief.

We landed smoothly and proceeded to taxi to the gate when we stopped. The captain came on and said that there were no open gates for us to park at and it would be another 15-20 minutes until we could park the plane. Our seats were in the back of the plane, so Peter and I had a bit of panic as we waited to see what would happen next.

FINALLY the captain parked the plane. We got the kids and high-tailed it off the plane as fast as we could. We didn't have time to use the bathroom or get food and we ran to our gate. We made it to our plane with minutes to spare. At this point we didn't even care if our bags made it through!

The plane took off and once we were mid-air I went in the bathroom to change the kids. I had Ry in Pull-Ups because she's terrified of toilets that flush by themselves and all the airport ones do that. So I took her in the bathroom and took off her Pull-Up and it was dry. I told her that she was so good and that we could go in the airplane potty because it doesn't flush by itself.

She filled with terror so quickly that she started crying, jumped on me, and peed all over me. Not just a little pee... we're talking Niagra Falls here. I couldn't believe it!!! 20 minutes into a 5 and a half hour flight and I am literally COVERED in urine. I cleaned her up, changed her clothes, and did my best to wipe down my shirt, pants, feet, and slippers.

The kids were pretty much over flying during this flight. They were restless and although our Texas bed-time came and went, it was still light out and they were both confused.

We landed on Maui at 7:30pm. My bag came through which had my clothes and both kids clothes and also the toiletries. Peter's bag didn't make it, but they did know where it was and it came the following morning.

We made it to Napili and were so happy to see everyone. We ate some good pancit and lumpia. Ryenne was thrilled to see her grandparents and cousin, Landon. Kai was completely confused, very tired, very clingy, and super cranky.

We took Thursday as a recovery day. Ryenne has adjusted to the time really nicely, but Kai is having such a hard time. He is a creature of habit and loves his crib and his naps there. He is missing those right now and is very confused. I think the humidity also has him uncomfortable. Poor guy.

Anyway, it's been such a crazy couple of days that I haven't even taken out the camera to take even a single picture. I will be taking it out in a bit after Kai wakes from his nap and we'll take him to the beach for the first time.

Tonight Peter's family is throwing a belated birthday party for Ryenne. As I am typing, Ry and Landon are helping Grandma get the bibingka ready for the party. They are being great helpers and love each other very much!

More later!!!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh yes, please take lots of pictures and post as many as you can. Homesick.