Monday, August 17, 2009

A Visit with Leizl and the "Sugar Factory"


Pictured above are two tired mommies!! We visited with Leizl up in Makawao and her gorgeous two month old twins, Brianna and Peyton. They are such beautiful little girls!


When Ry first saw the Puunene Sugar Mill when we arrived, she asked me what it was. I told her it was the Sugar Factory and they are making sugar to send to all the stores. And I told her all the things that sugar is used for.

For days she asked to go to the Sugar Factory. When we passed by and the steam was coming out of the smoke stack, she started clapping and would exclaim, "Yay! They're making sugar RIGHT NOW!".

So I took her to the Sugar Museum - just her and me.



We went through the museum and she learned how sugar is made. Mostly she understood that the cane is crushed and the sugar water comes out and from that point on she just kinda nodded like she understood. At the end of the museum she got a little bag of sugar and she was very excited that she got to carry it around in a paper sack.

I find the Puunene Mill to be very beautiful. When I would leave the North Shore early in the morning on my way to school at Maui High, I remember the lavender light of dawn hitting the mill and I always thought that it was magical and majestic.

No comments: