Friday, June 18, 2010

The road to being healthy

I think I've mentioned before that I am on a quest to lose weight, right? Not just to lose weight, but to change my entire lifestyle and eating habits and be HEALTHY and show my kids how to eat healthy.

I feel like I've come such a long way. In my former Concierge life pre-kids, this is what I looked like.


I found this picture, and a myriad of others like it, while I was looking for baby pictures of Ryenne on the computer. I was pretty much in shock because I hadn't realized that I had looked like that!

The past couple of weeks (before I had seen my old pictures) I was starting to feel sorry for myself because I have been working so hard to fix my body and wasn't seeing huge results. Really I was just being quite impatient about the whole process. But after seeing the pictures, I can see HUGE changes that are being made. It put me back into a good place emotionally.

So pre-kids, I didn't know how to cook. Spaghetti and salad, sure. But I made no effort to cook and we got take out A LOT plus all those fabulous concierge dinners I got to go to. Plus a nasty habit of soda everyday.

Now, I LOVE to cook. I love exploring cooking, flavors, texture, ingredients. I love making something from scratch and having my family eat it and like it - or in some cases not liking it and tossing that recipe. It's been an important step to evolve and grow and play with raw, real ingredients and get yucky preservatives out of my life. Maybe I should start adding some of the things I'm cooking to the blog? Leave me a comment if you'd like recipes added every now and then.

So today is Friday. Fridays are my weigh in days. I won't divulge my weight cause I'm still embarrassed by it - but I will tell you the scale is moving downward. I will tell you that I'm at a weight that I haven't been since I was at MCC. I'm feeling strong and good. And my kids love to eat broccoli and pesto.

3 comments:

Susan said...

recipes please...I so relate to your note. I too am working on the very same things. ummm but we did have spaghetti tonight. :)

Unknown said...

Mariah, I wish I had that kind of determination. Good for you and good for your family!

Kristi said...

i can so feel your spirit in this post. i know it has been hard and emotional for you. i am proud of you girly. what did they always tell us at the ritz, 30 days to create a habit. i love recipes especially ones that are working for families.

ps. i never cooked till i had littles too.