Monday, February 13, 2012

Interesting Weekend

This weekend was full of ups and downs. We were all excited to head to the West Side to meet Jadelyn, Pat and Lisa's new daughter. Ryenne, Kai, and Cruz were so excited to meet their cousin. Kai has already declared that he will always protect her. Pretty adorable.

Friday night Kai got pretty sick. Up all night throwing up and liquid poops. I think he might have gotten sick from a box of raisins but I'm not sure. I was exhausted. Poor Kai Boy!

Saturday he did much better. I did a newborn shoot for Jadelyn and had an afternoon photo shoot. Then at night Kai woke up sick again and I was up all night with him again. It is so hard to see him sick. He is the tiniest little boy. I tried to keep him hydrated with coconut water, coconut milk, water, and anything else I could get into him. It all mostly came out. :( He looks like a little skeleton right now. Like one of those ads for a third world country with the starving children. I had to have him in a diaper today - which he hated - because he couldn't control his bowels. It was hard to see him like that - because the diaper is loose on him and tight on Cruz. Fingers crossed that he'll do better tonight. I'm at a loss for what else I can do - shoot me an email if you have any ideas dagupionohana@gmail.com

Speaking of health... I have been in a rut lately. A sugar and carb induced rut. A horrible cycle of yucky. I admitted to myself that I'm an addict. I have an addiction to carbs and sugar and I have to have it and then feel like crap after I do. I did so well all year until I got back to Austin and then I was stressed and ate all the wrong things. It's been a hard cycle to break.

So a few days ago I read about a Paleo method of eating (think paleolithic) eating as our ancestors did long before we started eating grains of any kind. It inrigued me. High in meats, veggies, fats, seeds, some nuts, and some fruit. And some yogurt is ok too. I decided to give it a go. Started last night with an amazing spag sauce over shredded zucchini "noodles". All day today I stayed away from carbs - which is hard at my in-laws house - and I have to say I feel AMAZING. So full of energy and not carbed out. Looking forward to more tomorrow. Especially now that we've found a really awesome farm with amazing veggies and papayas. So I guess I'll write about it a bit and check in with how it's going. I'm sure I'll have moments when I just have to give in to that dang pancake or artisan bread - as a treat - but for now I'm just telling myself that I'm allergic. And according to the spare tire around my belly, I AM allergic.

I was going to stick around at my in-laws to watch the Grammy's. Especially after the passing of Whitney Houston yesterday - another famous person gone too soon. I really wanted to see that tribute and my Bruno Mars (didn't know I had a giant crush, didja?). But the kids were restless and nobody was home so I took them back to Makawao and we danced and ate dinner together. It was nice. Peter is going to try to find me a recording of the Grammy's so we can watch together tomorrow. If Kai is feeling better we're taking the kids out to dinner tomorrow night to celebrate Valentines Day as a family.

Overall it was a crazy, interesting weekend. I hope this week everyone is back to their healthful selves.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hard to watch our little ones sick. :(