Monday, February 20, 2012

Why do I cry?

Today we were cruising through Upcountry with sugarcane on both sides of the road. We were jamming to good music when I heard Ryenne's little voice from the back seat, "Mommy? Mommy? You know when it was my 5th birthday? Why did you cry?"

I can't believe she even remembered that.

Truth is, I cry on every birthday. She asked me to explain to her.

I told her that I cry on her birthday (and the boys') because I am happy and I am sad all at one time. "I cry because I'm sad that you're getting further and further away from being a tiny baby. Because even though you'll always be my baby, it's getting harder and harder to pick you up. I cry because I'm happy at what a beautiful girl you're turning into - how smart and sweet and caring. And it's my job as your mommy to make sure you grow up into a thoughtful, caring, loving person. And with each birthday, you get closer to being a grown up. It's a sad and happy thing all at the same time for mommy. Do you understand?"

"No, now turn up the music." she says. And there I was crying in the front seat.

2 comments:

Maehren said...

I cry all the time, too. Can't wait to see what sorts of insensitive things Van will say when he finds the words =) Love you Rizz! I totally relate!!

Kristi said...

best post ever. x