Monday, February 27, 2012

What is it about Hawaii?

Crystal asked me and Nico a really big question, "Aside from the obvious beauty, what is it about Hawaii that makes you want to live here?"

This took some thought. Sometimes I have to process things for a while before I can eloquently write it out - because I'm much better at writing than speaking. :)

Obviously Hawaii is beautiful and I feel like many elements of it's beauty are engrained on my soul. Not just something I want, but something I NEED on a daily basis like I need oxygen. I need salty air. I need sugarcane. I need mountains. I need to know exactly where the ocean is even if I don't get in that day.

Beyond that, it's a way of life. I think living here you are required to live in the moment. You are on an island. While people are bustling away during the grind of mainland life, we just sit back and let it ride. Everything will be ok.

I found that in Austin, the grind really got to me. Everyone competing for who has what first, new cars, new boats, new vacations, summer camps... the list goes on and on. It's always planning ahead. Working hard and then playing hard.

But I feel like on an island every day is playing hard. It doesn't matter if you have a new car or a piece of sh*t car. We're all in the same boat. Almost all of us are paycheck to paycheck. And when the day sucks you just go to the beach, soak in the sun, catch a sunset, and hope that tomorrow will be better.

Most of us aren't as educated as our mainland counterparts. We usually have kids much earlier as well. It's normal - it's Hawaii. It's a way of life. "Lucky we live Hawaii" not just lucky to live IN Hawaii.

The simplicity of this life is just what I didn't know I always wanted. I am so glad that I did get to experience mainland life to know just what I wanted and return home with a new found appreciation and love for Maui. The good outweighs the bad ten-fold.

2 comments:

crystal said...

I like that - "lucky we live hawaii" instead of "lucky we live in hawaii". i felt it from you and nico when i was there. it was hard to come back home. looking forward to coming back soon. xoxo

Anonymous said...

this is such a good blog :') you've pretty much summed up Hawaii for me :D

<3 Jean