Monday, August 08, 2011

Goodbye

Today while walking to breakfast in Lanai City with the kids I got a call from Nico. Our Grampy passed away this morning.

Grampy had been battling Parkinsons and I haven't seen him in several years. I wanted to, but I was afraid I would get to him and he wouldn't know me.

I knew he was going to pass at some point, but it's hard to mentally prepare yourself for someone in your family passing away.

Grampy was an incredible person. He was full of laughter and light. He was so sweet. He loved to have his hair brushed. He loved to fart and giggle and blame it on someone else. He loved ice cream in pretty dishes and sweets. He loved his kids. He laughed when we called his nose hairs "vines". He was light hearted and beautiful.

I got to talk to Grampy the other day when he was having some moments of clarity. I tried talking as loud as I could into the phone, "Grampy I love you!" but he couldn't hear me. He kept saying, "Hello? hello? hello?" and I was sad that he couldn't hear me. When he gave the phone back to my mom he told her to tell me he loves me. I think he was saying goodbye. I wish he could have heard me - but I think he already knew how much I love him.

Grampy, I love you. I'll miss you. I'm happy that you're not in a state of pain and confusion anymore. I'm happy that you've left a body that was failing and that you've gone on to a better place. I'll always love you. Thank you for being my Grampy.

No comments: