Sunday, April 18, 2010

A new routine

Two words to describe Ryenne: Drama Queen.

This child is soooo strong willed and she has started to get very manipulative. She uses my tiredness to get what she wants and I have decided to put a stop to this NOW.

One of her favorite things is to come downstairs after bath time and hang out with me and Peter. She loves this but she gets cranky when it's time to lay down. She also gets very annoying (overtired!) while she's downstairs with us. We've tried to make her go to bed early, but it's been so much drama that we've "let it go". I just can't do that anymore. She goes to bed so late that she's sleeping in until 9 or 10 in the morning and then it's hard to wake her up for school.

So last night we started the first night of our new routine. Bath time is at 7pm or so for Ry, Kai, and Cruz. It's a fun bath where they can actually play. After bath, we're all getting onto Ry's toddler bed and Ryenne and Kai each get to pick out a book and we read both. Previously, Kai went right to bed after bath and he's not gotten the benefit of hearing storybooks yet (bad mama!). After book time, it's bed time for Kai AND RYENNE.

Last night Kai wasn't interested in the books, but I read anyway. Ryenne always loves to hear stories. After we were done reading, I took Kai to his room and of course he went booty up right away (the boy loves to sleep!). Then I went back into my room where Ry's toddler bed is and I told her that it's bedtime and I tucked her in. I told her if she's quiet I'll leave the door open. I further explained that if she's fussy and noisy she still has to go to bed but I'll either spank her or kick her out of my room and make her sleep somewhere else.

You know what? She LISTENED. I was completely ready for a huge blow out fight with her trying to get her down. She was passed out by 8pm. I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!! I'm sure it helped that Peter took Ry & Kai to play basketball for an hour before dinner but still... I was totally prepared for battle!

So Peter and I watched an episode of "V" off the DVR and then did a kick butt Jillian Michael's exercise DVD together. It was really great!!!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

She was probably overtired like you said, if they miss that window of being tired(and it is a small window), it is a challenge for them to fall asleep. Keep it up Mama.