Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hoppin' Mad

I'm mad. I'm mad because I feel like I don't have much of a say of what goes into my kids' body's. I'm mad because things that are super healthy are sometimes unattainable while things that are unhealthy science experiments run rampant.

The US Government says that raw, unpasteurized milk is unsafe, and therefore, illegal for me to buy. There is nowhere on Maui I can even attempt to get it. Yet it's perfectly ok for cows to be hoarded into pens, stuffed with soy and corn, live miserable lives, produce milk that is full of puss an antibiotics (yes, I said PUSS!) and then the milk is heated into a "safe" version of something that has lost almost all the benefits of it's raw counterpart. Why is it ok for the government to tell me that I can't buy raw milk, yet I can go to the store and buy margarine. Margarine is horrible for you. I can go to the store and buy infant formula. Do you even know what's in newborn formula? Here is is in case you're interested (Similac)
Corn Syrup Solids, Sugar (Sucrose), Milk Protein Isolate, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Soy Oil, Coconut Oil, Galactooligosaccharides. Less than 2% of the Following: C. Cohnii Oil*, M. Alpina Oil, Beta-Carotene, Lutein, Lycopene, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Magnesium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Chloride, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Choline Bitartrate, Taurine, m-Inositol, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Mixed Tocopherols, L-Carnitine, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Cupric Sulfate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Vitamin D3, Cyanocobalamin, Potassium Hydroxide, and Nucleotides (Adenosine 5’-Monophosphate, Cytidine 5’-Monophosphate, Disodium Guanosine 5’-Monophosphate, Disodium Uridine 5’-Monophosphate).

Why is it ok for a baby to start life on corn syrup solids and sugar packed with soy oil and it's not ok for me to make decisions on buying a whole food product for my family? How is this right? How is it right that stores can now put pink slime into their hamburger? In what world is this ever ok? Why as Americans do we just take this?

I am crazy mad. I feel like I have no voice, even within my own family. It seems like no matter how much I explain how horrible some of these ingredients are, people do not want to make a change. It seems almost like a war with my father in law. I want to cry at all the terrible things going into my kids' body and yet I am the wrong one.

I am so stinking mad. And hurt. And sad. Too many people don't even know what it is they're eating. Our country is just going to get fatter and unhealthier. It's a war alright.


2 comments:

Maehren said...

I am WITH you dude. It's terrifying and awful. And FYI, you have the right to put the kibosh on people feeding your kids shit that you don't want them eating. In other words, "No, you may not poison my kids, thanks." I have your back!

Heather said...

Amen!!