Thursday, May 03, 2012

How to survive on an island without Wal-Mart

I've posted my disdain for Wal-Mart in the past. And being on an island, it seems everyone goes to Wal-Mart. We have no Target (fingers crossed they come soon!). We have a K-Mart, and while everyone at K-Mart is much nicer, the truth of the matter is it's not well stocked and you never know if they are going to have in stock what you need (again, this is an island - everything is imported).

"But Mariah," you say, "Wal-Mart is a huge employer on Maui. Without Wal-Mart, a lot of people would lose their jobs." And while this is true, I have yet to meet a friendly Wal-Mart employee. Truth of the matter is, they are underpaid, not offered enough health-care, and are "stuck". Just my opinion here.

Anyhow, how, oh how do I survive without stepping foot in a Wal-Mart? Bulk items are bought at Costco - TP, giant "eco" laundry detergent... but truth is they don't have enough eco-friendly products and health foods to be my only supplier.

Enter three wonderful things:

1) US Wellness Meats
I simply cannot afford the $18/pound price of Maui Beef at Whole Foods. US Wellness Meats ships AMAZING meat for FREE to Maui via FedEx overnight. And let me tell you - the burgers are the BEST EVER. And the sandwich steaks are UNREAL. I have a freezer full of meat that is never fed grain and roams leisurely in open pastures. You can taste the difference - I promise. Everytime we have had a burger out, we always say that our burgers at home are better. And they are!!

2) Ebates
Shop online? Start your session at Ebates and get a percentage back of everything you shop for. I use this particularly for Drugstore.com (which is next on my list), but it has percentages back at so many places! Sephora, Kohls, Old Navy, Target, Macy's, ect. For the month of April, I got over $6 back (just cashed my check) and while that is not HUGE, it is something and it adds up. Add to that I am not actually driving to a store so I'm saving gas too (which has just hit $5/gallon).

3) Drugstore.com
Ok now this one is awesome. If you go through your Ebates portal, you're already getting anywhere from 3% to 6% back on your total. BUT, Drugstore.com has their own program where you earn 5% back on all your purchases that you can use on Drugstore.com or their sister site Beauty.com. PLUS, they are always having sales on natural items (hello Mrs. Meyers cleaners!). Toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoos, soap, overnight diapers, dish soap, handsoap, lotion, ect. I buy it all here and then enjoy my 5% back and the Ebates cash. I just got my reward for $12 from Drugstore.com to use on my next purchase. That is shampoo and conditioner. Or half of the cost of the overnight diapers. Or 4 bottles of dish soap. AND, again... FREE shipping to Hawaii on orders over $50.

So you see, it's possible to live on an island and never again set foot in Wal-Mart. You're welcome!

No comments: