Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Kai and regression updates

Kai waiting for Emmy dog to come kiss him
It's so hard when you think you have something under control - and then you don't.

Ever since our food poisoning episode last week, Kai has been having issues with regression. And it's presenting itself in two ways.

I knew something was happening when he started drooling and shoving his hands in his mouth. This was sign #1 for me when he was younger that something was up. It's starting to subside, but this is really was triggered me to kick it into gear with helping him detox.

The other thing he's doing, and this is really normal, is he loses it when he's tired. Like his brain shuts off and he just FREAKS OUT in the biggest tantrums ever. And it's usually over practically nothing. Sometimes he'll shove his hands in his mouth and make himself vomit during this tantrum. Over the weekend, Peter's brother Patrick really helped me out during a big tantrum (THANK YOU PATRICK). I'm finding that the best way to get through this is redirection. He had a tantrum on the front porch (I think about putting on slippers) and I picked him up and sat him on our chest freezer while he was freaking out and said calmly, "Hey Kai. Can you look at my eyes? What color are they?" and he stopped and looked at me and his face completely changed. It was wild. And we started having a conversation about eyes as if the tantrum never even happened.

Now this other thing he's doing is new to me and it scares me and I'm not sure what to do about it. Sometimes his face will morph into a Kai I don't know and he says really mean things. He will walk right up to me and say things like, "Mommy I hate you." or he'll tell Ry or Cruz, "I want to smash your face against a wall." and he's very serious and dark. I'm not sure what to do about this because normally he's a very loving, super mommy's boy type of kid. I don't like this mean spirited person that has started coming out.

So what am I doing? Well... I'm really trying to watch his diet a lot. He is a huge fruit and carb eater, but I have him on some really wholesome bread instead of cereal and I've started giving him some whey protein in his chocolate almond milk to help with the lack of protein in his diet. He just doesn't like meat. I've been putting all the kids to bed earlier so they can get a good amount of rest. None of us are eating much dairy anymore... just a bit of cheese here and there. I think these things are helping.

If anyone reading has any ideas, please send 'em over. He is getting better - improving every single day - I just didn't realize I'd be facing some of these issues with him again. It just goes to show how sensitive our bodies can be.

And while I'm on the subject, a big huge thank you to Peter. The old Peter would have been frustrated with Kai and pinched and spanked during a tantrum. The new Peter has been so incredibly patient toward Kai's needs and so helpful. I love you babe!

1 comment:

Life In Motion said...

This screams of gut imbalance, especially since it started again after the stomach flu. He needs live strain probiotics, no carbs, watch high sugar fruit, skip the bread, get rid of the chocolate milk, it is all feeding the bad bacteria in his gut. Fermented foods will help a ton along with commercial probiotics. I'd look in to considering GAPS with him, to really do some healing that will help him long term. Also, make sure he's not on MSG, the mean streak sounds like it could be that, it messes with dopamine levels in the brain and does this to kids a lot! http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/the-dangers-of-msg

Reach out if you need help at all, I'm here and wish I could just give you a hug. You're doing a good job momma!!