Monday, November 08, 2010

My Projects

After this month photography will slow down. My favorite season will be upon us.

I had a really great talk with my dad yesterday about all my feelings that I've been harboring. We talked about our need for Ocean and Mountains. And he had some really good advice for me. He said whenever I am feeling like Austin isn't enough, I can sit down and imagine I'm somewhere like El Paso. Or Tulsa. Or Dallas. And after thinking about that - I'd be glad I'm in Austin.

And the truth is - I am spoiled. At 30 years old I have lived in two of the most amazing places on the planet - Santa Barbara, CA and Maui, Hawaii. I think I was born with a need for salty air. We talked about it being therapeutic for our soul. But we also talked about being able to travel when our debts are paid off. And perhaps if things do well in Austin we will have the means to travel and my needs will be satiated by travel.

During our talk I also realized another thing in my life that has changed. Throughout my twenties I was so focused on having kids. If you've followed this blog from the beginning, it started as a diary through my infertility problems and chronicled our in-vitro adventure. We had Ryenne. Then not knowing if we could have any more kids - we had Kai Boy, and finally Cruz. And now I'm 30. And after a decade of trying for kids and praying and wishing - I have them. My ultimate dream come true. So now I'm reaching for new dreams and new things to accomplish.

I am going to start a Dream Frame. I'll hang it in the living room and each member of the family will post words and/or pictures of things they're dreaming of. It'll be a visual piece of art that we can all contribute to.

I'm also going to focus on making this Christmas a handmade holiday. I think this will be our first plastic free Christmas ever. I've already got some vintage style toys bought. Only a few little things more to buy and I'll have Christmas all done.

I'm going to have the kids help me decorate wooden clothespins so we can make a card display.

And though I've spoken of my house as a box with no character, I am going to pretend it's a cute cottage.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

i did an experiment with quinn last year on his birthday were i only gifted him with one simple gift per family member. they were simple gifts a wool felt ball, an eco friendly game, a bug cage, and a goldfish. i was so nervous he would be disappointed, but he was quite the opposite. he was not overwhelmed and was very happy. it made me realise that they don't really need a whole lot. i love the tradition of handmade things too.

Susan said...

Your dad is wise. I'm glad you are feeling a bit more settled. I'm proud to say I've followed the blog since the ivf days ;). Hugs

Jan said...

Mariah-it seems you are on a positive track for the holidays and feeling better about Austin. I've heard wonderful things about it, but we all go through phases of "The grass is greener". I think it's human nature and thankfully those phases usually pass. Hawaii was a love/hate relationship for me. I love the people and the beauty, but I was constantly frustrated by the same things you've mentioned in previous blogs. Having followed you since your infertility posts on Maui, I am so happy to see you've been richly blessed. Your children are beautiful!