Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving and Elphenora Dimplebottom

You know what I love about our Thanksgiving? I love it's simplicity. I love that we get together because we want to and not out of obligation. I love how we can be in our ratty houseclothes with kid muck about us and still be thankful. I love that there is no set schedule - it comes together at it's own pace and we all sit down together hungry and when that first bite goes in, everyone just slows down and says, "Mmmmmm".

We had a lovely Thanksgiving. 

The stay started out in the 70's and so the kids and I went out on a walk. I took the little Fuji with me. This week the leaves have really started to fall off trees and Fall has FINALLY hit Austin - though at 70 degrees + I guess it's a bit warmer than everywhere else. :) 

 (This first pick of Peter and the boys was actually from day before T-Day. Just thought it was so cute.)

So we start out with breakfast. Cruz has taken a real liking to having one foot on the tray of his highchair.
 On our walk we found some really great leaf piles!



 We were examining different leaves - feeling them and looking at the colors. They are fascinated by the leaves.



 These are all the pictures from Thanksgiving. Honestly, I hadn't slept well in about 3 days and I was just so tired. I didn't want to fuss with the camera. I just wanted to sit and enjoy the day. And I did. Mom and Pops came over and we shoo'd the kids out of the kitchen while Gams did the cooking. I did the green bean casserole and sweet potato pie.

We sat down to an amazing meal of apricot and orange marmalade glazed pork ribs, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, cranberries, pumpkin cheesecake... hope I'm not forgetting anything. It was scrumptious!! 

The evening wound down and by 7pm I was so tired I was in bed already. Fortunately, Peter took the kids this morning so that I could catch up on sleep. I felt like a new person this morning. 

We caught up on some laundry and set up the tent in the living room. Cruz loved the tent.
 When Peter woke up we went on a grocery run at HEB. I had been putting off grocery shopping because I didn't want to be in the holiday crowds. It was a nice, quiet day at the grocery store. When we got back home, we were bringing in groceries and I put our new little elf on the front door along with a note and rang the doorbell and then ran back to the garage door with a bag of groceries. 

Ryenne opened the front door to find her - Elphenora Dimplebottom - our house elf sent by Santa to make sure the kids are being good.
 When I read Ryenne the note and explained why Elphenora was here, she had a sincere look of concern on her face. I call this her "oh shit" face. She realized at that moment that she can't get away with half the things that she does - because Elphenora will tell Santa.
 Elphenora was hanging out on the basketball hoop watching the goings-on of the afternoon to report back to Santa tonight.

 The kids will find her tomorrow on the picture ledge, ready to watch for the day.

I have heard of "Elf on the Shelf" and loved the idea. But at $30 I just couldn't justify it. We found this lovely elf at  Homegoods for $7.99. I thought a handwritten note would be more meaningful than a commercially done piece. Ryenne went to sleep tonight saying how cool it was that an elf was visiting her house. 

Sweet dreams everyone!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

happy thanksgiving y'all.