Friday, June 10, 2011

I think he learned...

One of the hardest things about being on Maui right now is our eating habits. I've been fighting with Kai for a week now about how he eats Kashi cereal and Landon eats Fruit Loops. Kai has wanted those Fruit Loops something fierce.

Today I gave in and let him have the Fruit Loops. Know what happened? He got horrible diarrhea. We talked about it today - how certain foods are toxic to his system and this is why he got the pains in his tummy and had to go to the potty so many times today. He went back to the Kashi.

Feeding him has been hard since we got here. For one, the Westside stores don't have everything I need. Whole Foods is an hour away and I should really go more often. He isn't used to a lot of foods and is out of his comfort zone. I've started spiking his coconut milk with whey protein concentrate. The boy just isn't eating. I know that he's healthy and fine, he's just so tiny and I'm really struggling in feeding him - especially in keeping him away from toxic oils and ingredients. He is definitely the most sensitive to them.

There is such a huge variance in attitudes with food in Hawaii. On the one side there's really horrible for you stuff - all the tasty stuff of course - Spam, Mac Salad, all the fried foods. And then on the other side there's amazing natural things like fish and fruits. So far Kai hasn't liked mangoes and papayas or fish. I've been buying him Ulupalakua strawberries and mainland grapes. For lunch I got him to eat greek yogurt with sliced strawberries, coconut oil, and raw lehua honey.

For all my readers.... please comment on suggestions... I'd sure appreciate it.

On the complete opposite spectrum, Ryenne is eating everything in site. I'm trying to point her in the direction of choosing wisely - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Tomorrow I'll be experimenting in the kitchen a little bit. Wish me luck! 

2 comments:

Kristi said...

this so reminds me of quinn when we moved here. he always does a dip in eating when we move or travel. just give it some time. maybe see if he will drink a flavored almond milk...lots of nutrients and good protein. i remember struggling with the west side for this same reason.

Katie Bell Moore said...

Hogan and I are both really sensitive to food colorings so I'm not that surprised the Fruit Loops messed with Kai Boy's sensitive tummy. It would mess with ours.

Do you do the yogurt tubes? I buy the the organic Stonyfield YoKids and then freeze them. Jackson eats them at all times of the day and I'm even allowing Hogan to have one occasionally (because of the cow's milk). I don't know what we would do without them since Jack has been SO picky lately. My only problem is that I have to be firm with them at the store and refuse to buy the Yoplait or other brands that invariably have Spongebob or somebody else cool on the box. Those are just loaded with sugar and food colorings.

And now I'm going to try the tofu that Alison recommended. :)