Thursday, June 02, 2011

We made it

It's been a very long couple of days. 

On Tuesday I took Kai for a haircut. He got trimmed up - she went a little shorter than I had envisioned, but she did a great job and he was really, really good. Ryenne also got a little trim and she got sparkles in her hair. 

We left Austin at 7:30pm. It was hard to leave Gams and Pops and Peter. I told him in the car on the way over that most husbands wouldn't grant their wife a wish like he did for me. I told him that I wanted to go home for the summer with the kids because my soul needed it and he let me go - no questions asked - because it was something that I needed - even though he couldn't go the entire time. I told him how much I respected and appreciated that freedom. 

Here's Cruz checking out the airplanes at the Austin airport:


The flight from Austin to Denver was fine. Kai had a minor panic attack boarding the plane, but once he was on he was fine.

In Denver the plane we were scheduled to take had maintenance issues. Then they ended up taking it out of service so we were delayed 3 hours getting in to Seattle. We ended up arriving into Seattle at 3am (5am Austin time) and we were all exhausted. Luckily I had a free room to use and we all crashed for a couple of hours.

The Hawaiian Airlines flight from Seattle to Maui was long. Cruz was cranky from being so exhausted. Kai and Ryenne did excellent the entire flight.
Cruzer decided he wanted to be a huge pest so he opened my shirt and threw up all over me. Actually I had quite a bit of child bodily fluids all over me - Kai had an accident and pooped on me as I was wiping him, he accidentally peed on me when I was helping with his pants, and then Cruzer puked all over me and rubbed his snot all over my shirt. Needless to say I arrived on Maui looking quite tired and crazy. Not my best look.

Arriving on Maui was wonderful. The funny thing about it was that it seemed as though I had never left. Like moving to Texas was only a mirage... a distant dream.

I had to go to Safeway to get some necessities for the kids. I was quickly brought out of my lala land when I bought groceries. I just kept saying HOLY CRAP over and over again. The boys' coconut milk is $7 per half gallon. I bought some organic things for them to eat and spent $160 on barely anything. Crap, crap, crap. I still need to buy protein powder, diapers, and wipes. Here's a bit of reality stepping in!

But here's the view from the car (just a cell phone snapshot)
The cousins are getting along wonderfully - they've been playing all night. It's midnight in Austin and they're just having a ball with Landon (aside from Cruz who is sleeping). It's off to bath in just a minute and bedtime for us!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my goodness! That sounds like such a long, rough trip. So glad you guys are there safely and that you've had a chance to change your clothes. :)

Janice said...

You are braver than most to fly that far alone with 3 little ones. The air just smells different in HI, I'm sure as you took that first breath and saw that ocean, you felt it was worth the long trip. You are so committed to being there, I'm sure the universe will present a way for it to happen:-)

Kristi said...

flying alone with the littles is exhausting...i can totally relate to this.