Monday, April 23, 2012

I think this is what I'm going to do...

The whole "school thing" has been heavy on my heart lately.

Actually I can't get it out of my mind. Because the more I think about trying to put kids into a very expensive school, and making Peter work a second job, makes me go crazy because then the kids would never see their dad and he would never see them.

I sat on the couch this evening fighting with Ryenne over the stack of worksheets that she needed to complete. She moaned and wailed that she misses her preschool in Texas where it was "fun". I can't blame her. Different learning "stations" and stimulating activities are awesome.

While Kai is on my radar right now, I can't ignore Ry's needs for fun learning. I think I need to make her first grade experience a priority. After all, Kai still has another full year before kindergarten begins for him.

Maybe what I need to do is give each of them an excellent FOUNDATION for learning. Maybe I could send one at a time to Montessori. Ry could go for 1st grade and then Kai could go for kindergarten?

3 comments:

Lori said...

Have you thought about Haleakala Waldorf in Kula? I am not sure the cost difference now days but it was cheaper than Montessori at one time.
Also, does Anuenue preschool do a kindergarten/1st grade anymore? My son went there for Preschool and they had a K class at that time and maybe a first grade. But that was eons ago, lol.

I really feel your pain. Maui schools are not good for kids who are bright and need a lot of creative learners. And it is equally worse for kids with any "hidden" disabilities (ADD, etc...)

My friend moved to Waikapu a few years back for the new elementary school there. It is supposed to be fairly innovative.

Personally we bounced around between Kihei Charter, Hui Malama, and Kamali'i. All the time wishing we could afford Montessori.

Good luck

Lori said...

Also, with your son Kai....

if you feel he is still struggling with stuff and may eventually need services in school (speech, OT, etc...) I would really encourage you to start slowly working on that in advanced. The Special Ed system in Hawaii is a hard road. Especially if a kid does not have really obvious issues like Autism.

I am not sure who does Early Intervention these days...it used to be Imua and then you got referred out once they were over I think.

I may be a little jaded though. We had a rough road on Maui with those things. While still flawed we have had a much easier time getting services here in Oregon.

My husband wants to move back next year. I won't even consider it until we are done with all the screening and tests first to see if we wind up with a diagnoses.

You might be able start assessments and things now for the following school year.

:) I had been meaning to comment on your blog post a while back about Kai a while back. He reminds me of my Charlie. Charlie is a very sweet guy who needs a little more from us than the other kiddos.

Aloha

Kristi said...

a montessori education is taught so differently from mainstream, a child Ry's age would be very confused entering the classroom, usually they will not except children into the school once they have passed a certain age. it becomes far to challenging for the student and the teacher. also, just doing montessori for one year will not benefit them. we have been in montessori from the start and quinn is now in grade one or a cycle 2 student and we question montessori all the time. it is not always the best option for every child. just saying, an expensive school is not always better.