Friday, October 09, 2009

a beautiful morning

I woke up at 6:30am and laid in bed for a few minutes. I brushed my teeth, changed, and dialed home. My awesome mother-in-law answered "Good afternoon!!" and I got to hear of Ry's playdate this morning and of Kai taking his nap. Ry got on the phone and said, "I miss you mama. I want my kisses." and her sing-song voice filled my ears with happiness. What a beautiful start to the day.

After talking with Marissa and Ry, I walked across the street to Napili Market and picked up my Itoen can of coffee and a chocolate Long John - yes $5 for one doughnut and CAN of coffee. Not an actual mocha or anything. Just a can that is $1 in Texas.

Anyway, I gathered up my book and my camera and drove down to Kapalua Bay as the sun just started coming over the West Maui Mountains.

It was early and the tourists hadn't yet descended on the beach. Aside from a few early divers, I had the whole place to myself.

I got this image just as I was walking onto the beach.

100909-002

I got my toes nice and wet. My stomach isn't so big yet that I can't see my feet. Here's my toes in the sand, with my belly in the way, and my brand new pedicure.

100909-003

I sat in the sand, and read my book. I had promised myself that I was going to save the second half of the book for my flight back home. But I love to read, and so I've found myself going back to it and reading until my eyes hurt. And with the morning being so lovely, I found myself reading yet again.

100909-004

After reading for a good hour, I put my book down and stretched out on the sand, covered my feet with sand, put it on my legs, and stared out over the ocean.

The waves lapped against the shore. Tourists started to arrive. No breeze. The smell of salt started to be replaced with the smell of Hawaiian Tropic fake coconut and shiny tourists. The empty beach started showing colors of various umbrellas and neon colored boogie boards and foam noodles.

It was time to go.

I gathered my things and walked the path back to the parking lot. What a beautiful, quiet morning. I will be back at the beach Monday morning.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh to be back on Maui sitting in the sand reading a book. Your photos turned out lovely. Enjoy.