Thursday, September 16, 2010

At the park & a new endeavor

Yesterday we took the kiddos to Southpark Meadows to splash around in the dancing waters. Cruz had a great time as I laid on the hill and tossed him around.

mommyatpark

Today the kiddos went to school and Cruz and I putzed around. A dear friend from Iowa had sent me a Target gift card and I finally went to use it. I got some really cute clothes - THANK YOU SUSAN!!! Afterward I got dressed up and went on a business meeting to a retirement home called Marbridge. They had contacted me to see if I would be interested in volunteering my time to photograph some of the long term residents so they can display them on the walls - they have a brand new wing.

When I arrived, the residents were having a (virgin) Margarita party. They were having such a wonderful time. I got a tour of the place and learned that they also do Equestrian therapy for the residents, which I thought is wonderful.

During my visit I personally met with two residents. The director Alicia introduced me to Greg, who is in a wheel chair and has lived at Marbridge for quite some time. He shook my hand and asked if he could hold my hand for a minute. And he asked if he was going to get to be in a magazine when I told him I was a photographer. His eyes lit up. He promised to smile for all his pictures when I come back. I also met Robert, who called me "Darlin" and "Ma'am" and invited me to see the deer on the wall that he had shot as a young man (which really isn't my forte but he was so proud of them) and to show me the book he had written. He was excited to see me again for pictures.

So for the next month or two I will be going back to Marbridge to capture activities around the retirement home and meet some more of the extraordinary people that live there. It was truly touching and I left feeling a great sense of pride. I'm really excited for this project!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Yea for shopping ;). I love that you're taking photos of the older generation. So cool.

Kristi said...

inspired.