Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Natural Dishwasher Soap

We had a giant bottle of dishwasher soap - Cascade I think - and I had started to think it was very harsh. I figured I'd try to find something more natural. And there are natural ones out there - Mrs Meyers and Seventh Generation to name a few.

But I ran out of the Cascade and haven't been to the store, so I went in search online. I found a recipe for a natural dishwasher soap online! I just made a batch and have tried it out on two loads.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup liquid castile soap (I used Dr. Bronners)
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3 drops tea tree oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
Method:
stir all ingredients together until blended. Store in a squirt top bottle. Use 2 tablespoons per load of dishes, shake well before use. 

You will want to add the castile soap first to the container and then add the other ingredients. There is a chemical reaction with the vinegar and it kind of gels up making it hard to transfer to another container.

My dishes came out smelling good and clean. If spots bother you than this might not be your favorite dishwasher soap. But the few spots didn't bother me - I just wanted it all clean.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

little steps turn into bigger ones. i am trying to save the earth too.