Saturday, September 11, 2010

Banana "Nini" Muffins

I had some zucchini and bananas that needed to be used. I took my zucchini bread recipe (it had a lot of oil and sugar) and doctored it up for some healthy muffins.

Last time I made zucchini muffins with Ryenne, she commented that she wished the zucchini wasn't shredded. So I tried a different method this time.

You will need:

2 C unbleached flour (or sub with 1 C all purpose & 1 C whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C butter
1/4 C Agave Syrup
2 eggs
1-2 bananas
1 med to large zucchini
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pan with paper cups.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and set aside

In your food processor, cut up the banana(s) and zucchini and add to processor bowl with agave syrup and softened butter. Whirl until bananas and zucchini are pulverized. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix. If you would like to add chocolate chips, this is the time to add them. I had about half a cup left and so each muffin got about 3-4 chips - just right for the kids to think this was a dessert.

Add mix to paper muffin cups and pop in the oven for about 30 minutes. Makes 12 muffins

I liked my muffins not overly sweet so I did 1/4 C Agave. If you like a sweeter muffin, you may want more. Agave Syrup is available in the honey section at the store. It's processed easier by the body than sugar and is a great substitute.

No comments: