Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pumpkin Patch fiasco

I had images of grandeur taking the kids to the pumpkin patch and getting a great picture of them for Cruz's first Halloween event.

Yeah. This is what I got.
 Gorgeous, isn't it? 

Check out how Ry looks like she's going to rip Cruz's head off. Mmmm-hmmm... THIS was our trip to the pumpkin patch.

We started out loading the kids into the car. I realize that people may not understand how I get three kids into a Scion XB - so here's an illustration for you. As of late there have been a lot of fighting and hitting between the older two while I'm driving. I think they had just hit each other when I took this picture.
Cruz, however, was excited. 
So we're at the pumpkin patch and I am thanking my lucky stars that we didn't drive out to Sweet Berry Farms (an hour + drive) because the kids were absolutely rotten. 
Kai wouldn't stop throwing pumpkins and yelling "Ball!". Ryenne kept running from pumpkin to pumpkin and I realized that she was ripping the stems off them! I was mortified!

We attempted some pictures - but this was really fast because I just wanted out of there as quick as possible. I was really disappointed that our "fun family outing" ended up being a yelling contest for me. I don't think I relaxed for even one moment we were there. And I was so sad because I had such high expectations for having a great time with my kiddos. 



Maybe it's my fault that they behave this way. We don't go out to eat. We don't go to social functions. Maybe it's my fault that they don't know how to behave in public places. Their version of an outing is to the grocery store or to get diapers at Target or breakfast at Gams and Pops. Maybe it's my fault because I am not a social person and shy away from big gatherings or crowded places. I was just completely embarrassed at their behavior and the fact that I had to yell at all (in the church pumpkin patch, no less.)
So this was our pumpkin adventure this year. I don't think we're going to carve our pumpkin. I'll probably cook it after Halloween.

4 comments:

Lacey | Michael | Leilani said...

Oy... That stinks that the pumpkin patch trip was such a bust. But don't blame yourself! NO toddler actually knows how to behave in public, do they? You only notice this behavior more because you have 3 kids.

By the way... the pictures with you and the kids and then Peter with the kids both turned out BEAUTIFUL! So when you look back at this outing, just remember those memories! And block the rest! ;-)

Susan said...

Only YOU would say these are bad pictures...I find them beautiful. They are real LIFE my friend, this is what us Mom's deal with day in and day out. Kids aren't always sitting smiling and cooperating, that is more rare than common. Of course, your photography skills AMAZE me, how do you get them so bright, so crisp, so perfect?

Loved this post. Sorry it was sad for you, but I am telling you, as a Mom with older kiddos, I WISH I had taken more every day photos just like these. Those are what we remember.

Lyndsay said...

I think we're long lost soul mates! HA! Oh I feel your pain. Right down to the 3 kids hitting in the car. I don't like crowds either and would much rather be at home than in a group of people. Instead of posting my bad patch pics I'm just hiding them in a folder and pretending they don't even exist! ;)

Kristi said...

the photo of you and the littles is gorgeous. i miss this time of year. the orange pumpkins. they don't have orange pumpkins in australia, they ship them in for halloween not that anyone buys them at the lovely price of $35.00 a pumpkin. eek. i know.