Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Saimin and Cheeseburgers and Fall

Isn't it funny how when the weather "cools" to 80 degrees in the daytime I go outside, breathe, and am thankful that Fall has hit us in Austin? I will be even happier when the high of the day is 75 :) But I am so enjoying it not being so crazy hot and we can actually go outside and play.

Since the weather is starting to cool and I feel more like cooking, I've been experimenting with new things. Peter and I are both a bit homesick over foods we miss on Maui that we just can't get here. So I've been experimenting and trying to recreate flavors.

One of those things is a big bowl of Saimin (Ramen to mainlanders). I've made it twice in the past two weeks and it's been a big hit. The kids love to slurp and play with the noodles.


I also made some Korean Tacos - which were awesome. Basically if you've ever had Bulgogi, it's that meat with cilantro, cabbage, shredded carrots, and green onion in a corn tortilla. Couldn't get pictures... they were gone to fast.

Peter has also been on a personal quest to find the best Cheeseburger in Austin. He has tried several places and yet our favorite continues to be the little cafe (Cafe 1626) by our house. But a friend of his said to try Huts Burgers downtown, so we decided we would make a lunch date with Cruz while the older two were at school.





It was really fun going into Downtown Austin. The burgers were good, but not great. Cafe 1626 is still the winner so far!

While the kids were in school yesterday we took Dexter to the pet groomers down the street. He got a bath and his nails cut and filed. He smells so good! He is really loving his new role in the household. He is so gentle with the kids and it's amazing to watch him thrive without Chico here anymore. He now sleeps with Ryenne snuggled up by her feet in her bed.


And back to it being Fall.... it is as my Grandpapa would have said, "Delicious" to be outside. This morning me and the kiddos went into the backyard to enjoy the mild sunshine, the cool breeze, and just enjoy.
















No comments: