Friday, March 18, 2011

A Shout Out to Lyndsay

Fellow Austin Photographer and Mom Lyndsay had quite a year last year with her little guy, Teagan.

Teagan became very sick after a round of vaccines and Lyndsay and family had to change almost everything in their lives overnight to accommodate Teagan's new needs and change many habits in their family.

It was reading through their family blog "Finding Our New Normal" that I got ideas on how to help Kai Boy through his struggles when I didn't know what was wrong with him. I got many ideas for cleaning our house of bad things from Lyndsay, and she was a cheerleader for Kai Boy's healing. It was Lyndsay that led us to Marti, Kai's O.T. where he received such loving care and improved so hugely.

Teagan is doing so well and I sat and read her latest post with tears of joy. She asked for comments on how their story has affected others, and this is my comment to her:

I cried hearing Teagans words to you. It's so easy to see them as babies and think they don't understand everything - but they do. And they constantly amaze us.

As you know, my Kai Boy was exhibiting things that weren't "normal". He was becoming delayed physically and mentally after being a thriving one year old. As he approached two, he was practically not speaking at all and his face was becoming droopy. I know that he didn't have many symptoms that Teagan did, but reading through all the things you have gone through, what you've removed from your home, ect... it was as if a lightbulb had gone off in my head that *something* wasn't right with Kai and your words gave me the strength to fight my doctor, put my foot down and figure out what was going on with him.

While we still don't know if it was the CFL bulb that exploded on him, or a dose of vaccines at the beginning of last summer - your blog and all Teagan has gone through led us on a path toward healing for Kai Boy. You led us to Marti. You helped us remove pesky things from our house. All of these things together formed a symphony of healing for Kai Boy.

Kai is almost two and a half and talking up a storm. He's a healthy little guy. Still very small, but physically he's healed. His speech improves daily. His face isn't as droopy. While I don't know what lies ahead for him - if he will face any further learning disabilities, ect, I am so thankful to have my little boy back. My Kai Boy is back and the droopy little boy who wouldn't talk and who was clearly in pain is gone.

As Tegan has done, Kai often comes to me in a quiet moment, sits on my lap and just clings to me and says, "I wuv you mama" and it is absolutely priceless.

No comments: