Friday, September 23, 2011

My first C.S.A.

I have joined my first C.S.A. (Community Supported Agriculture) program. I really, really enjoyed going to the farmer's market a few times, but it's really overwhelming with the kids. There is a little petting zoo there that's cute but it's $15 for the kids to spend 5 minutes with the animals. Plus there's popsicles and all kinds of other things to bribe kids and it gets expensive, hot, and hard for me to get everyone and everything in the car.

While I was at the Farmers Market last time I noticed a company called Greenling. They work with a variety of farmers to distribute boxes of goods to people. I signed up for the local box delivered weekly that is full of all that weeks harvest. I got my first box on Tuesday. I should have taken a picture of it!

In addition to the local box I also got local unhomogenized milk (YUM!!!), pasture raised organic eggs,  and all natural butter. The really neat thing about it is that it comes with really local things - things I wouldn't even know what to do with sometimes. This weeks box came with fresh beans, purple hulled peas, corn, lettuce, asian pears, green beans,  mushrooms, onions, and butternut squash. I am having a ball figuring out how to use everything.

The other night I made acorn squash stuffed with chicken sausage stuffing. It was SO AMAZING. Tonight I'm making a tomatillo chicken soup with the fresh beans and corn. I'm LOVING THIS!

No comments: