Friday, January 14, 2011

Yesterday

Yesterday I took the kids to school and I shouldn't have been driving. I was feeling "floaty" and drove really slow. I spent the morning with Cruz on the floor and had my mom pick up the kiddos from school. The rest of the afternoon my headache was achy but I kept feeling "floaty" - off balance, like my feet weren't on the ground, like I could topple over.

I tried answering emails and my typing was horrible. My hands wouldn't cooperate with the signals my mind was sending. I was frustrated. Kai's O.T. Marti sent me an email of concern. And when I thought about what was going on, I thought that maybe it would be wise to get checked out right away. I had tried to get into Austin Regional Clinic (called 3 times to ask to be seen today) but they were too busy.

So my mom came over and Peter called in to work and took me to Seton Southwest ER. On the way there, the right side of my face started having spasms (think smiling but just on one side) while the left side got droopy (only around the jaw).

I saw myself in the bathroom mirror and it looked like I was scowling/growling - it looked very bizarre! The ER took me in and we did a CT Scan and bloodwork and a spinal tap. All came out clear. The doctor gave me morphine and migraine meds and my body relaxed so much that the face spasms went away and I regained control of my left cheek/jaw area.

The doctor explained that migraines have some very strange manifestations and that mine was presenting these strange things. I believe mine was triggered by two things: lack of sleep and the return of my cycle. I have an appointment with a neurologist on the 27th to follow up.

I am feeling good today though. Much more back to normal!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am glad you are okay....so glad. Scary stuff. Keep me posted with your follow up. HUgs and prayers