Friday, December 31, 2010

The Last Day

I've heard in Texas that it's a proper Southern thing to eat Black Eyed Peas on New Years to bring good luck. I also heard that if you eat cabbage it's supposed to bring in money for the new year.

So today I made kalua pig and cabbage and we headed over to Katie and Graham's house for black eyed peas and corn bread. Everything went together perfectly. And just to be sure that we went over the top, we danced to Black Eyed Peas music too. Since tomorrow is officially New Year's Day, we'll be having more black eyed peas and I think I might grab some mochi ice cream just to make sure all bases are covered here (superstitious much?) to make 2011 a good year.

The kids had a blast. It was awesome to see them all in the tub together and to spend the last day of this year with special friends.

The sunset tonight made pink clouds. I gazed upon it knowing that another year is gone - albeit a hard year - but another year none the less. I tucked Kai into bed first and kissed him goodnight. I then tucked in Ry and told her that another year was leaving and tomorrow would be the beginning of brand new one. She looked at me in total confusion and asked what that meant. I told her that she would be turning FIVE in 2011 and her eyes opened wide with excitement.  I kissed her and left the room with mixed feelings. I nursed Cruz to sleep and he went into his crib without a peep.  Peter kissed me goodbye and headed off for work - another Holiday night by myself.

I am sitting here on this last day of 2010 with lots of work to do but no desire to do it. I'm both afraid and excited for the new year.

No comments: